Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Slightly More Info...

Bula friends!

This a little late, considering our first group meeting was a while ago.  Unfortunately, I missed the beginning of the meeting because I had to work, but I got there pretty quickly.  I missed the ice-breaker games and introductions though, so I still don't really know the other girls yet.  But there'll be plenty of time for that.  :-)

New info from the meeting:
We're probably hiring the Fijians to build us a sleeping hut, and we'll just bring a couple of tents.
We're digging our own latrine and burning any trash we may have.
Sharyn (Dr. Jones) has sent a letter to the King of Lau informing him of our plans and formally asking his permission to visit and work on the island.  :-)
I will DEFINITELY need dramamine for the 2-3 day cargo ship ride to Nayau.
I need to buy a headlamp.
We'll be spending several days on the main island of Viti Levu both before and after Nayau, and we'll have access to internet during that time.

Fijian words/phrases of the day:
iko - fish
Vakamalua mada. - More slowly, please.
qasenivuli - teacher
gonevuli - student
Au sa katakata. - I'm hot.
Au sa viakana. - I'm hungry.
Au via sili waitui. - I want to swim in the sea.

I'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment