Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Photos and Packing

Fiji Day is drawing near!  Two weeks from today!  To celebrate, I thought I'd share a couple of photos of the island we'll be going to, Nayau.  These photos belong to Dr. Sharyn Jones, but rest assured that I'll have plenty of my own to share when I get back!  :-)












This is an aerial view of the village of Liku on the southwestern part of the island.  It's one of three villages, but I'm not sure which of the three is considered the principal village - aka, where the chief lives.  I'll let you know!












View of the southern end of Nayau, which is where we'll be camping (assuming the villagers don't make us stay in the village...keep your fingers crossed on that one).  I know there's no way this can be as idyllic as it appears here, but it just looks so dang peaceful and amazing!












This is Sharyn's crew from a couple years ago digging at a rock shelter on Nayau called Waituruturu.  The site is about 3000 years old, and is one of the first sites settled by the Lapita people on Nayau.  Cool, huh?  :-)

In other news, my sleeping bag came in!  It's a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 45 degree bag that I got for about half price, and I love it!  Mom says it feels only a little thicker than a rain jacket, and it packs down to about 6 inches square in a compression sack!  I tried it out the other night...I didn't have my sleeping pad though, so I spread it out on my bed and slept IN my sleeping bag ON my bed, lol.  Can you tell I'm ready to go?!  June 9th can't come fast enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment