Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Almost Time!!!!!

Hey friends!

As the title suggests, it's almost lift-off time for Fiji!  I'm meeting the group at the airport in about 8 hours!  From there, it's off to Houston, then L.A., and finally Nadi.  As soon as we get off the plane in Nadi, we'll get on a bus for a 5-hour trip to the capital city of Suva, which is on the other side of the big island of Viti Levu.  Once we get to Suva, we'll probably be there until Sunday morning, when we board the cargo ship for the (apparently hellish) ride to Nayau.  We'll be on Nayau for about a month before heading back the way we came.  We should have several days in Suva and Nadi on the way home, and it's back to the States!

One significant change is that it turns out we're most likely going to be staying in the village now.  This is great in that we'll have more interaction with the locals...but it's not so great in that we'll have more interaction with the locals.  :-)  Privacy will likely be more of an issue in the village, but the experience will probably be much richer in the long run.  And on the bright side, we wouldn't have to build our own latrine!

Ok, now that I think I may have finally finished all the packing I can do tonight, I'm going to try to get some sleep.  We're meeting at the airport at noon tomorrow...errr, today?  You know what I mean!  I'm so excited (and just a touch nervous)!  Let's hope everyone can keep a positive attitude and make this the absolute best trip of our lives!

Fijian words:
Lako tani. - Go away. (for use both with children and with pushy adolescent boys)
Vale lailai - Toilet (literally "little house"!)
Jilo. (pronounced "chilo") - Excuse me.
Malo - Good
Bula levu - Full (as in: "I'm full.")

No comments:

Post a Comment